WP Web Site + XF1. XF2, bbPress, something else?

Steve Freides

Aspirant
We have a WP web site and XF 1, with an add-on that allows people to login to XF and then go seamlessly to the WP web site. I administer the XF forum, and I've been happy with XF so far - we have a few add-ons, they were all inexpensive and added functionality we wanted, and while the admin tools haven't been perfect, I'd be lying if I said they were insufficient. I think XF does what it needs to do for us, and does it well.

It's time to upgrade XF. I am an ex-programmer so I understand the general nature of the issues involved even though I'm not current on WP and today's programming tools.

The biggest issue is that the add-on we used isn't available, and we're contemplating what's next for us.

I ask for your recommendations on forum software. We are, I should say, planning on XF 2 but I am the Devil's Advocate here, asking if you think there are viable alternatives we should consider before we make the final decision about XF 2. I don't imagine I'm the first person to want a WP web site with a well-integrated forum, and I'd love to hear what others have to say on this.

Our forum is about 10k members and a few hundred new posts each day.

Thanks very much in advance for your replies.

-S-

haqzore

Devotee
Your most direct path would probably be to use XF2 and XPress (or maybe just the free user bridge)

The good (& bad) news is there are multiple viable alternatives.
I don't know how you use WP, so here are some thoughts:
  • All XenForo: XF2 + replace WP with AMS (3rd party XF 'article' addon)
  • All WordPress: WP + replace XF with wpForo (3rd party WP forum addon)
  • Wholly First Party: Invision Community can do "all of the above", all first party.
  • Wholly First Party: WoltLab Suite also has first party CMS + forums, though not as fully featured as Invision.

A thought: While total platform migrations seem to be (and are) a lot of work, now's as good a time as any to take it on. Time/Money/Effort spent getting WP/XF updated & working again may be wasted if you decide to migrate platforms later.

While the linked 3rd party solutions (XPress, AMS, wpForo) are phenomenal products, all 3rd party solutions carry the risk you've run into with your current bridge (unsupported, end of life, etc). First party solutions eliminate a lot of that risk.

Last edited:

overcast

Adherent
Have you tried WPForo? It is pretty good if you ask me. Better than BBPress.

MTT

Aspirant
My doubt with forums like WP-Foro or other wordpress plugin like Simple:press is that if I will need to move to a board like IPS or XF I don't think their merge plugin support these minor boards. Am I wrong?

Joel R

Habitué
My doubt with forums like WP-Foro or other wordpress plugin like Simple:press is that if I will need to move to a board like IPS or XF I don't think their merge plugin support these minor boards. Am I wrong?
You will most likely lose all theming, templates, customizations, and plugins. Only members and content will be migrated.

Dopply

Aspirant
I honestly didn't know the people who made XPress offered the bridge for free. Invaluable info (since the only thing I'd like to do is offer cross commenting), so thanks!