Question Why should any sites you admin be held top secret?

fixer

I'm In My Prime
What is the point of keeping any site you are admin of a secret?

zappaDPJ

If that's aimed at me it's because the services I provide are all in the same niche.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
If that's aimed at me it's because the services I provide are all in the same niche.

Not really Aimed :) I thought it was a legitimate response you made and I was looking for more input from others.

So one of the reasons you choose to remain Anonymous is because your clients are competitors.

So relating to that.. I have clients who are competitors as well, and one has told me unless i quit working with company B they will not hire me to do any more work for them company A.

So i can see why for this purpose some people may not want others to know who they work for.

But i would think this is not a very common occurrence among web masters

As for me and i told company A unless you pay for exclusitivity I'm free to work with who ever i want.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Because everyone knows better as an admin, without knowing the design or documentation used to make the site.

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
There are lots of private, organization-internal forums/sites. An admin might not want to broadcast information about one of those, so that random members of the public-at-large don't try to access (or DDOS) them.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
There are lots of private, organization-internal forums/sites. An admin might not want to broadcast information about one of those, so that random members of the public-at-large don't try to access (or DDOS) them.
DDoS attacks are surprisingly rare.

It only happens if you're caught on the same server as someone else, you're doing something sketchy (hacking sites love DDoSing each other), people hate you for whatever reason, they're trying to silence someone (a journalist's site got DDoSed for exposing the identity of a criminal), or someone is just trying to knock competing sites (Mirai was used to take down competing Minecraft servers).

TheChiro

Devotee
DDoS attacks are surprisingly rare.

It only happens if you're caught on the same server as someone else, you're doing something sketchy (hacking sites love DDoSing each other), people hate you for whatever reason, they're trying to silence someone (a journalist's site got DDoSed for exposing the identity of a criminal), or someone is just trying to knock competing sites (Mirai was used to take down competing Minecraft servers).
I wish they were rare. My niche is notorious for it and I've been dealing with it ever since my site got a name for itself back in 2006. Cloudflare and Sucuri have been godsends over the last couple of years. I was seeing 3x/day attacks back in July, refined our firewall rules in cf and they were halted. We now see large enough ones about once a week where it creates a huge blip on our cf stats but it hasn't taken our site down since the beginning-mid July.
I've tried keeping my site a secret on admin sites like this for the sheer fact that some users would go to great lengths to find as much about you as they can. I've written guides about making money on websites and even divulged how much I was making at that time. Those things are things I would rather my users not know but I'm fine sharing it in places like TAZ to help motivate users and letting them know it is possible to make decent money with forums (or...at least it once was, I'd imagine it is MUCH harder now days tbh).

I don't need the malicious users to have any more ammo to find help with gathering larger botnets to hit my site offline with. They've done a decent enough job and it costs me some decent money each month to keep my site up and running and not nullrouted. When you are number 1 in your niche, people want to knock you down.

User37935

Neophyte
Two reasons I don't broadcast my forum. One, I'm here for chat/advice with fellow admins, not to publicise or promote. Two, I don't wish to give competitors a heads-up on what I am planning, should I ask questions about specific features or customisations.

Paul M

Super Moderator
Choice is the point.

If someone decides to do it, then they have a reason, and its no one elses business. :)

fixer

I'm In My Prime
lots of good reasons.

no one said it should be a requirement

Paul M Problem is the feature is not there to share it, It’s not a matter of choice for the majority

eva2000

Habitué
Fairly common if your contract agreement involves a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) so the only time I'd be revealing specifics is if it's ok'd by the client or the client reveals publicly such info. With NDA in place, working for clients within same field isn't really a problem for me :)