I'm In My Prime
your thoughts?

we have always used the conventional...

Red - admin
Orange - moderator
Blue - sponsor/feeder
Yellow/Gold - VIP members

all Bold

recently we changed to bright style colors with thin black outline and i have to admit i really like them , especially when they generated $60 worth of upgrades because people started asking how they could get a “fancy name”

24C42E95-D7B1-43FA-B7EC-99DB1422DBF7.png

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
I've personally never been a fan of colorful username styling. I prefer something simple like making usernames Bold for staff members but all usernames have the same color and font. So instead of giving usernames colors, I prefer just using badges for people that belong in certain groups like VIP/Gold/etc. that are shown in their posts and profiles.

The reason I don't like colorful username styling is because as a guest or new user, I often find it confusing or downright hard on some websites, to figure out why some users have colorful names and it can create an elitist view for some members and on new forums I want all members to appear equal. Also sometimes it is just ugly.

Smokey

Enthusiast
I've switched it up sometimes, but generally mine is similar.

Admins: Red
Mods: Blue or Green.
VIPs: gold/orange

Failing that, I allow individual username formatting, but that's only if such an add-on exists, and as of right now, one does not exist for XF2.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
for some reason i still like it, its Nostalgic

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
I don't use usergroup formatting, although I do sometimes have a coloured border for posts, if posted by a staff member.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
I use it for admins and moderators currently. Red and green respectively.

Tempted to use it for other groups worth noting as well.

Lizzie Johannah

Aspirant
I do find that when looking for donations or subscribers or whatever the case may be, even something like a colorful username can sometimes just be enough incentive for someone to really, really want it.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
messed with CSS to smooth out the stroke ... AwesomeScreen Shot 2019-11-04 at 6.51.27 PM.png

haqzore

Devotee
Can't really argue if it boosts income.

But - throws me back to my early phpBB days... gives off too much of that old school vibe for my personal tastes.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
Can't really argue if it boosts income.

But - throws me back to my early phpBB days... gives off too much of that old school vibe for my personal tastes.

Forums are old school are they not?

The success rates of a new forum catching hold and going viral is what maybe 1% however the chances it wont be online in 5 years something like 90%

just click on some of the sites in the “show off your forum” threads

were living in the past