One Step Away From A Revolution In Forums...

fixer

I'm In My Prime
We have picked up a developer and they are working on implementation

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
For a site like Fixer's, a person-to-person distance locator would work particularly well for that niche.

Personally I'm following this thread with thoughts on a different angle... IPS Pages allows for a database field type of an address, what would be useful would be to create a database of something like local car clubs or other organization and then being able to have your community members be able to use a filter to find "Clubs near me within X miles" (sort of like how eBay and other sites work for finding local auction items). Hhhmmmm, I wonder how hard it's be to create a filter like that.
Politicians work for us they do not rule us.
What about politicians that claim they are not subject to the law while they're in office?

fixer

I'm In My Prime
For a site like Fixer's, a person-to-person distance locator would work particularly well for that niche.

Personally I'm following this thread with thoughts on a different angle... IPS Pages allows for a database field type of an address, what would be useful would be to create a database of something like local car clubs or other organization and then being able to have your community members be able to use a filter to find "Clubs near me within X miles" (sort of like how eBay and other sites work for finding local auction items). Hhhmmmm, I wonder how hard it's be to create a filter like that.
What about politicians that claim they are not subject to the law while they're in office?

clubs near me is already a club feature on invision

and Bill Clinton’s not in office any longer

fixer

I'm In My Prime
How about a Pages filter?

He's not the one who said he's above the law but, funny enough, the two of them will be having something in common.

not sure about the filter, it would be quite the undertaking to create a database like you are talking on a national level, state level wouldn’t be bad really

and if you want to debate politics, we can do it somewhere else just name the channel

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
not sure about the filter, it would be quite the undertaking to create a database like you are talking on a national le
With IPS already using the Google Maps my curiosity is piqued; before this is over I suspect I'll be tearing into IPS code just to see what would be involved since Page filters is something I have not fully dived into yet.

Thinking out loud... Use a Pages db with an Address field type then use the Maps API to search based on either the members location or an ad-hoc entered location (which would actually be more flexible in use).

fixer

I'm In My Prime
With IPS already using the Google Maps my curiosity is piqued; before this is over I suspect I'll be tearing into IPS code just to see what would be involved since Page filters is something I have not fully dived into yet.

Thinking out loud... Use a Pages db with an Address field type then use the Maps API to search based on either the members location or an ad-hoc entered location (which would actually be more flexible in use).
Sounds awesome, great to see people thinking like this, not all forums are networks but the ones that are anything related to location services is an improvement.

IPS member Boris_ successfully added a members near me link directly under the default search field , you may be able to reverse engineer that

fixer

I'm In My Prime
One thing that is slowing our lawyers down is the fact that I am in Ohio and my server is in New Jersey so they are having to review laws in both states and write the terms to cover both..... I never even thought of that

doubt

Tazmanian
How do you serve 12 consecutive life terms? Are they vampires? lol

1 life term could mean only 7 years in prison:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment_in_the_United_States
In the United States, 1 in 2,000 people are imprisoned for life.[1] There are many U.S. states in which a convict can be released on parole after a decade or more has passed, but in California, people sentenced to life imprisonment can normally apply for parole after seven years. The laws in the United States divide life sentences between "determinate life sentences" and "indeterminate life sentences." For example, sentences of "15 years to life," "25 years to life," or "life with mercy" may be given, which is called an "indeterminate life sentence." A sentence of "life without the possibility of parole" or "life without mercy" is called a "determinate life sentence" because a sentence of "15 years to life" means that it is a life sentence with a non-parole period of 15 years. Parole is not guaranteed but discretionary and so that is an indeterminate sentence.[2] Even if a sentence specifically denies the possibility of parole, government officials may have the power to grant an amnesty, to reprieve, or to commute a sentence to time served.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
We have picked up a developer and they are working on implementation
An option for users to be notified of when a new member joins with in XXX miles of their location, this option should be set on registration and on member profiles.

Then when a new member joins the site and enters their location everyone who has a setting set to receive notifications with in the range of the new user will get an alert and and email

we have also enabled profile completion prompt...

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 3.45.11 PM.png

fixer

I'm In My Prime
We are also looking into geo-tagging user-created content; for example, marking where a photo was taken.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
We are also looking into geo-tagging user-created content; for example, marking where a photo was taken.
Using the embedded EXIF or by having members manually tag the photos?

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Using the embedded EXIF if not available then manually set
I'd be interested in keeping tabs on what your dev comes up with in regards to pulling metadata from images in IPS (and if you scan the IPS forums at least a few others would be as well).

For XF we're using https://exiftool.org to pull the metadata (for displaying the EXIF data below the forum attachments at Cameraderie). The current implementation of how we're using it in XF is not exactly efficient and it's on my To Do list for someday to read the EXIF at the time of the attachment creation, save the data in a new side table, and then retrieve it at run time along when the attachment info is retrieved. It's easy enough to pull the GPS data out (we don't display location data) but would be interesting to see is what your dev comes up with in regards to IPS offering stock integration of Google Maps Mapbox (eg: pull the GPS info from the EXIF then call the maps API to get detailed info' on the location).

upload_2019-12-12_17-10-55.png

DanielF

Participant
I'd be interested in keeping tabs on what your dev comes up with in regards to pulling metadata from images in IPS (and if you scan the IPS forums at least a few others would be as well).

For XF we're using https://exiftool.org to pull the metadata (for displaying the EXIF data below the forum attachments at Cameraderie). The current implementation of how we're using it in XF is not exactly efficient and it's on my To Do list for someday to read the EXIF at the time of the attachment creation, save the data in a new side table, and then retrieve it at run time along when the attachment info is retrieved. It's easy enough to pull the GPS data out (we don't display location data) but would be interesting to see is what your dev comes up with in regards to IPS offering stock integration of Google Maps Mapbox (eg: pull the GPS info from the EXIF then call the maps API to get detailed info' on the location).

View attachment 53656
Yea, the galley is already using all the available exif data to show the camera information and location.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Yea, the galley is already using all the available exif data to show the camera information and location.
Unfortunately our community prefers the ease of attaching images to forum posts, not the gallery, which necessitates the need for handling EXIF with post attachments. Most "photography" forums I encounter are in the same position.

zappaDPJ

There seems to be quite a lot of disparity when it comes to the use of EXIF by forum developers. At least one product strips out the data claiming it's a security risk while others embrace it. I have read that EXIF data can harbour malware which might be under certain circumstance allow security holes in software to be exploited.

Does anyone have any further insight into this? Is it a real risk or can steps be taken to alleviate any potential problems?

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I would think that having a background script strip the data from the image and posting only the pertinent data as a caption or note would mitigate most of the security concerns.

I struggle with understanding the purpose of it. While I can see some use in a photographic site, to show the settings used to capture the image, I don't follow the reasoning behind using the geotagging data. If someone wanted to share the location where they took an image, they would volunteer it in their post. To pull the location data from every image and post it seems quite an invasion of privacy to me.