Interview with Shawn Hogan (AKA Digitalpoint) Part 3 - After The Apocalypse

Digitalpoint

Brain
I wish I could have just walked through the place with a video camera. lol Like all at the same time, you could have a group of people having a picnic under the trees on the grass... complete with people playing instruments and stuff. At the same time, a rated tennis match going on that would alter the players rankings on the tennis ladder. Then you would have a toga class going on somewhere. And 10 or so people doing an aerobics class to Lady Gaga music.

It was all pretty entertaining when you put it in perspective really.

Inmates were allowed to drive a tractor, use chainsaws, power tools and all sorts of other dangerous stuff you wouldn't think they would be letting inmates use in a "prison". lol

Either way, nice to be back to programming instead of just lazing around doing nothing. hah

Danielx64

Developer
I wish I could have just walked through the place with a video camera. lol Like all at the same time, you could have a group of people having a picnic under the trees on the grass... complete with people playing instruments and stuff. At the same time, a rated tennis match going on that would alter the players rankings on the tennis ladder. Then you would have a toga class going on somewhere. And 10 or so people doing an aerobics class to Lady Gaga music.

Inmates were allowed to drive a tractor, use chainsaws, power tools and all sorts of other dangerous stuff you wouldn't think they would be letting inmates use in a "prison". lol

Either way, nice to be back to programming instead of just lazing around doing nothing. hah
What the... What if someone was going to break out?

Digitalpoint

Brain
What the... What if someone was going to break out?
Then they walk away... there's no fence or anything. 10 people "escaped" when I was there for 5 months.

https://13411-111.com/2014/08/bye-bye-mexian-guy/
https://13411-111.com/2014/09/4-people-gone/
https://13411-111.com/2014/09/3-people-abducted-by-aliens/
https://13411-111.com/2014/10/someone-missing/
https://13411-111.com/2014/12/white-guy-escapes-sorta/

Well, the last guy got caught by local police/sheriff I think.

These guys left and came back... haha
https://13411-111.com/2014/08/runners/

Digitalpoint

Brain
That's nuts, sounds like they trust everyone blindly
It's not that, most inmates don't qualify to go to camp, so...

Of federal inmates, only 17.2% are classified as "minimum security" (which is camp status). Yes, I'm a stats nerd: https://inmateintake.com/statistics/

And if you look at the description on BoP's website...

http://www.bop.gov/about/facilities/federal_prisons.jsp
BoP said:
Minimum security institutions, also known as Federal Prison Camps (FPCs), have dormitory housing, a relatively low staff-to-inmate ratio, and limited or no perimeter fencing.

The "relatively low staff-to-inmate ratio" is an understatement. When I was there, an inmate was having a panic attack (I guess he was nervous about being released soon), and so someone went to the control building to try and find a guard so they could take him to the adjacent facility for medical. They couldn't even find a guard when they were LOOKING for one. hah From what I was told, someone finally found one sleeping in his car out in the parking lot. lol

If if you ever watched Orange is the New Black, that was supposed to be a minimum security prison, but it's not. It has fences, but no individual cells. So *actually* that would be a low security place. I think it's only at medium or higher where you start getting locking cells.

Either way, Taft camp was like going to camp... literally.

s.molinari

Leader of Skooppa
toga class

Toga? Or Yoga? Sounds like you had a nice vacation.:)

The only bad thing out of all that is the criminal record. But, since you are a very worthy and self-sufficient businessman, it isn't all that big a deal, I guess. I am happy for you finally getting over the Ebay crap, as that was the whole goal of the "camping exercise". :)

Scott

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
I'm sure there was a Ruby developers gang. You'd get cut or whatever the in word is these days, if you like Python or something similar. The description of the yard doesn't sound all that different than what I remember college being like. I mean, you'd have to be very wealthy to have a computer in those days and cell phones were non-existent for the most part. The ****ty fashion from the 80s carried on, and the popular drug was marijuana. There was a strong hippy movement then.

Good times.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧

Never thought I'd say this, as I like the real gritty prison dramas with rape, consensual sex, drugs, murder and the like. Kinda like Oz from HBO - one of my favorite shows of all time. But what you went through sounds more like American Pie bandcamp. Sounds fun. Are they taking any new comers and is there a way that you can show me how to make millions on eBay prior to my arrest? :LOL:

Welcome back though. I'd have thought such an experience would leave permanent psychological scars. I'm glad that didn't happen to you ;)

J.

Danielx64

Developer
Never thought I'd say this, as I like the real gritty prison dramas with rape, consensual sex, drugs, murder and the like. Kinda like Oz from HBO - one of my favorite shows of all time. But what you went through sounds more like American Pie bandcamp. Sounds fun. Are they taking any new comers and is there a way that you can show me how to make millions on eBay prior to my arrest? :LOL:

Welcome back though. I'd have thought such an experience would leave permanent psychological scars. I'm glad that didn't happen to you ;)

J.
Yeah before I found (and read) this topic, I figured that all jails would be like what you stated above, I wish that there were shows that talks about what shawn was dealing with.

eva2000

Habitué
surpised no questions about Shawn's weight loss progress ? :)

digitalpoint so how much weight did you end up loosing overall and any new weight goals or changes in the way you view your diet and fitness ? Just curious :)

Icewind

Aspirant
I'm still disappointed over the lack of gang initiations and tattoos :(

Perhaps there were initiations and tattoos, and digitalpoint can not discuss it as he may have had to sign a binding agreement that states: "what is seen in camp, stays in camp". We will never be 100% sure, regardless what he says :p

I bet there was an initiation, and it involved fifteen inmates dressed in purple sleeveless tees and purple bicycle shorts, snapping their fingers in unison as they made their way slowly towards Shawn. Shawn would then have to start snapping his fingers in tune with the others and make his way towards the group. Once they meet, the fourteen inmates behind the leader break-off and slowly form a circle around the two, still snapping in unison. Shawn and the leader would then have a dance off.

If Shawn does well, he receive his own purple tee and pair of bicycle shorts, and a small purple tattoo (on a spot on his body unseen by most) of a finger and thumb pressed together. If he doesn't do well, he is forced to run to the local store to purchase cigarettes or Red Bull or something to be sold.

Pure speculation on my part, but because of the binding agreement he may or may not have signed, only Shawn and the other inmates know what really happens in camp.

It is rumored, that now when you walk pass Shawn's home late in the evening, you can hear a faint rhythmic snapping of fingers. Coincidence, I am sure.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Perhaps there were initiations and tattoos, and digitalpoint can not discuss it as he may have had to sign a binding agreement that states: "what is seen in camp, stays in camp". We will never be 100% sure, regardless what he says :p

I bet there was an initiation, and it involved fifteen inmates dressed in purple sleeveless tees and purple bicycle shorts, snapping their fingers in unison as they made their way slowly towards Shawn. Shawn would then have to start snapping his fingers in tune with the others and make his way towards the group. Once they meet, the fourteen inmates behind the leader break-off and slowly form a circle around the two, still snapping in unison. Shawn and the leader would then have a dance off.

If Shawn does well, he receive his own purple tee and pair of bicycle shorts, and a small purple tattoo (on a spot on his body unseen by most) of a finger and thumb pressed together. If he doesn't do well, he is forced to run to the local store to purchase cigarettes or Red Bull or something to be sold.

Pure speculation on my part, but because of the binding agreement he may or may not have signed, only Shawn and the other inmates know what really happens in camp.

It is rumored, that now when you walk pass Shawn's home late in the evening, you can hear a faint rhythmic snapping of fingers. Coincidence, I am sure.
Love it :ROFLMAO:

Icewind

Aspirant
Well why would there be a blog talking about what going on if digitalpoint cant talk about it?

To mislead.

Think about it. Shawn writes that some inmates leave the camp and don't come back. Why would anyone take the chance of getting caught and being sent to a more secure facility? What would motivate them to leave, other than the humiliation of not doing well in the dance-off? Explains a lot, if you ask me.

As Shawn completed his time, he obviously did very well. So well I bet that he was probably voted as leader of the troupe: The Digital Pointers? or maybe the Hogans Heroes? We will never know, unfortunately.

Digitalpoint

Brain
Yeah before I found (and read) this topic, I figured that all jails would be like what you stated above, I wish that there were shows that talks about what shawn was dealing with.
Once in awhile when they do a show (well news report) in the camps, the public gets mad. Lol I think the Lompoc camp had a pool until a few years ago. They filled it in with sand because the public got mad and they became volleyball courts. Lol as far as a show that was a drama, it would be a pretty boring show. The biggest drama might be trying to figure out where all the mop buckets are at if you wanted to mop your cube at the same time as a party was going on... People would fill them with ice and put sodas in them for parties. The place I was at made 27 on this list: http://blog.arrestrecords.com/the-50-most-comfortable-prisons-in-the-world/

surpised no questions about Shawn's weight loss progress ? :)

digitalpoint so how much weight did you end up loosing overall and any new weight goals or changes in the way you view your diet and fitness ? Just curious :)
Ended up losing 35 lbs total... 208 to 173. Crazy to me I weighed 208. I already ate healthy, was probably too much beer. :)

Digitalpoint

Brain
I don't like boring beer. lol The problem is that California has more craft breweries than any other state and San Diego has more breweries than any other county. Last I heard there was something like 130 breweries in San Diego. And they mostly all delicious! haha

I got in pretty good cardio shape while I was at Taft (I figured something to do while I had the time, right?). lol When I started, a heart rate of 135 for an hour was pretty taxing. By the time I left, I could go hours with a heart rate of 165 like it was no big deal (which was the target cardio heart rate if you are 19... I'm 39). And yes, they give you good equipment with heart rate monitors and all that at camp. :)

San Diego beer even has it's own Wikipedia page. :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_San_Diego_County,_California

Lots and lots of good breweries based here... Karl Strauss (although I think their food is better than their beer), Stone, Port Brewing, Lightning, Lost Abbey, AleSmith, Ballast Point, etc, etc... although maybe no one knows any of that if you aren't from San Diego. hah

They have all sorts of crazy beers around here. For example, this one is 8.25% alcohol and tastes like juice. haha http://indianjoebrewing.com/apricot-hefeweizen/

This one is pretty delicious too.... 11% alcohol, and tastes like bourbon more or less. http://alesmith.com/beer/barrel-aged-old-numbskull/