If you owned YaBB

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
You might as well be given it right? I mean you are the one updating it now :p

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Oh well that is good :) I may have to interview you for AAF if your up to it? :D

Oldiesmann

Tazmanian
The biggest change I'd make would be to add database support. I know it's been planned for years, but it hasn't happened to my knowledge.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Does a script like that need a database though? What would be the benefits of supporting a database?

cheat_master30

Fanatic
I'd update the style to be honest, the current one looks really old fashioned and unappealing. Not sure why, maybe it's the mediocre icons used on the forum index or those weird lines used to designate ranks, or even maybe the really bad default avatars. It needs to look more like a modern script like XenForo or IPB.

famade

Neophyte
I could be facetious and point out that it did get more modern, after it got ported to PHP and became SMF :p (Yup, SMF was born out of a YaBB fork)

Though considering it's not even written in PHP and thus going to be on a fairly limited number of systems as a result... I'd suggest 'modernness' is a value judgement being attributed that it neither needs nor wants.

cheat_master30

Fanatic
A site written in Perl can still look modern, so there's no reason Yabb doesn't/

Also, has anyone noticed their site mostly runs off PHP... except the forum. Sometimes I think even Yabb wants to move away from old world CGI scripts and such like to a modern database powered solution.

The current shipping release has the older icons because so many current users like the older icons. (We took a vote.)
But YaBB's templates are extremely easy to edit.

YaBB WILL be offering a mySQL database system in the near future. mySQL will bring better support for Big Boards and improved search functions.

I'm not in charge of the YaBB forum website (otherwise so much wouldn't be broken). My own take is that if you're going to showcase Perl, you need to be using Perl. (I've got a number of sites that are Perl driven on the back-end and they work very well.)

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
I agree on using Perl for it all as well. I mean I'd hate to offer a Perl forum but have the entire site in PHP :p It could confuse people who are just starting with the software, haha.