How many of you run FB Groups?

Do you have an FB Group?

• Yes (connected to a forum)

Votes: 43 25.1%
  • Yes (not connected to a forum)

Votes: 43 25.1%
  • No

Votes: 72 42.1%
  • Other (FB Page, MeWe group/Page, etc) - share details in the replies.

Votes: 30 17.5%

• Total voters

Buriwuh

Aspirant
More than a year ago, I had five groups in the FB, now there is not even one. I completely switched to Instagram.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
FB started heavily suppressing our links to our forum. at one point they accounted for near 20% of our referrals, that went down to about 5%

Just ditched it off in the end, more effort than its worth.

overcast

Adherent
In fact they don't allow the affiliate links or even other social network links in groups.

GoingRight

Enthusiast
We have FB page but not a group. Simply posting links on the FB page to the forum threads.

MrDeranged

Participant
We have a page and a group, mainly to prevent "identity theft" of our forum. (I know it doesn't really work, but better than no presence on FB at all). Our only attempt at "funneling" is that we don't allow any advertisements in the group or handling photos. If they want to advertise, or post pictures of them potentially putting their pets in danger, they have to do it on our forums. I'd say that we probably have equal crossover between the two. People that like forums will migrate over there and people looking for the "quick fix" migrate to the facebook group. Those that don't like our moderation style disappear or rage quit from both ;)

frm

Aspirant
I do, but it's somewhat a waste of time, though can be profitable.

I have a forum with Adsense. I also have 5 groups that match interests with combined membership of 15k+ as well as a Page with 5.8k likes.

I strategically use my groups to feed links to threads and blog posts daily.

Do they convert to members? No.

Does the spike in traffic result in a spike of Adsense revenue? Yes.

So while the groups I barely manage (read: 5 minutes of my day with volunteer mods) don't net me much when it comes to forum participation, they do provide me with an outlet, as admin, to "spam" them on an interesting topic (which competitive sites are disallowed) that does net income greater in value than 5 minutes of my time.

Keep in mind, folks, you can easily grow a group to 1, 5, 10, 100k+ members that you can set the rules of (i.e. only your links go through) that can massively drive traffic in 1 post.

Use it to your advantage. Do both. But, keep a forum at heart as FB steals it mostly all away.

Edit: ALSO, join other groups as your Page and post relevant posts/comments as when someone likes your post, you can invite them to like your page. Funnel those likes to conversions if you can, but remember that they see your Page's posts afterward.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
I *used* to own a Cat/Pets group and an RC one, but my freaking FB got "banned" for no apparent reason. GRRR

louisaclark

Neophyte
The question is ambiguous, either you are referring to owning/managing a group or being a member of the Facebook group.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
The question is ambiguous, either you are referring to owning/managing a group or being a member of the Facebook group.
It says do you HAVE a facebook group, not are you a member of one ;) Have pertaining to owning/running one of your own. No one else was comfused.

overcast

Adherent
I recently started one gaming page. I mostly post the gameplays over there.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
Back on FB now. hehe I own several groups, but only 2 are active. :D

sb1962

Adherent
Aye - run 2 groups totally unconnected to my forums. One is around an entirely separate niche interest & the other a secret group for a group of friends to keep in touch & plan stuff.

I have a 'page' rather than a group for each of my forums to share content with related groups that have popped up on facebook & try & attract sign-ups.

vans

Participant
I will shortly try this. I will give a shot on social media and try to advertise my project on FB having a page there. Will let you know what happens in the following weeks/months.

MKiera

Aspirant
I try not to use/encourage FB . . . or cell-phones or Amazon for that matter!

Strictly an independent best price/free shipping/no tax "ebay" girl!

Anybody have a FTP "select all/copy" of Vb 3.8.2 global.php they can share?

( somehow mine got r-u-n o-v-e-r by config.php )

Last edited:

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
I try not to use/encourage FB . . . or cell-phones or Amazon for that matter!

Strictly an independent best price/free shipping/no tax "ebay" girl!

Anybody have a FTP "select all/copy" of Vb 3.8.2 global.php they can share?

( somehow mine got r-u-n o-v-e-r by config.php )
Wait, how does the pricing of Amazon & eBay and the use of cell phones (discouraging use of cell phones?!:confused:) relate running a FB group?

Kyrie

Habitué
I've never had success using facebook groups. Considering my Niche's have been so vastly different, I feel like I've ruled it out as valuable.

ItsMe2

Aspirant
I run a number of Facebook Groups, however, I am thinking of creating websites for them in hopes of getting my members to engage with my website. I am not positive I can pull them away from what they know, Facebook.

Joel R

Habitué
I run a number of Facebook Groups, however, I am thinking of creating websites for them in hopes of getting my members to engage with my website. I am not positive I can pull them away from what they know, Facebook.
If you're Facebook group is large, extremely busy, or needs tools and resources, then Facebook will have shortcomings that can be overcome with your own community. There needs to be a pain greater than the complacency of staying on Facebook.