Best CSS Framework?

PeterH

Participant
I've used Foundation CSS framework before, and I've been looking for alternatives. But they all seem to be lacking in one way or another, either because they require a very specific setup or just seem like support online is kind of minimal.
So what CSS frameworks would you recommend and why?

Gosu

Aspirant
Bootstrap #1 because it has a lot of components suitable for most projects.

Foundation I've had some issues.

Materialize would be #1 for me but it lacks a number of components bootstrap has. I use it for small projects.

Take a look at Spectre: https://picturepan2.github.io/spectre/ if you like light weight frameworks with no js.

ColinD

Enthusiast
Bootstrap is a staple go to for quick styling where the budget or compliance needs to just work. Millions of examples, hard to go wrong. #shiptoday

Foundation is equally as compliant and I use the email tools from that project in my apps. although I still argue till I'm blue in the face for text only emails.

The material inspired ui's are lovely if you have agreement on lots of space and 'less is more' per page. Probably go for this if it was an 'application' for use on mobile more than desktop.

Something I stumbled upon last year was the concept of functional css. Coincided with shifting from ruby to elixiir and js to elm. So rather than define a whole button class .btnPrimary then apply that and then override it for one, two, three places... oh heck I've broken it everywhere now. You simply apply all the things you want to each instance. Mostly aimed at components, or progmatically generated interfaces. Takes a little bit of time, but I found myself; not a designer, & firmly in the straight lines and tones of grey box design camp, getting it after a few hours.

This might be worth a read, if only to kill an hour.
https://hackernoon.com/full-re-writ...nctional-css-a-case-study-part-1-635ccb5fb00b

thedarkdragon

Neophyte
I use Bootstrap to quickly prototype sites and when it is within the project requirements, otherwise I tend to stay with Google Materials because incorporates good UX practices in their framework.

dojo

Passionate admin
I hated frameworks for all my life and still consider them too bulky. Yet, to speed up design, I now use Twitter's Bootstrap. Pretty OK overall, although I still have a lot to learn

DanielDP

Aspirant
For me Bootstrap is always the best. If you do not like bootstrap, you can try the following frameworks: Foundation, Senmatic UI, Pure, UIkit also very well appreciated

overcast

Adherent
I can't decide between the foundation and Bootstrap. I like them both. Recently checked out Bulma CSS and heard about Tailwind but didn't tried it.

\o/

an oddity
I find most CSS frameworks too large and bulky. It's not worth the overhead.
I played with PureCSS in the past though, it was sufficiently nice to use. Still, SCSS is so much better in my opinion.