becoming staff on different forum:)

aaa111

Neophyte
Hey, it can be funny that I ask such question as senior moderator with almost 10 year experience on almost 2mln posts board :) but I am curious, what would be your approach if you wanted to become a staff member of forum where you are currently user. We have specified guidelines for users that would want to work with us in staff group, and those who meet requirements (0% warn, specified period from last warn, number of posts, register date and similar) can fill their applications that are later reviewed by us. Many boards has it organised in another way, it is nowhere written how one can be promoted to staff group, and of course asking for it would make it even harder;) Have you had any experience of this kind, and what was your approach/behaviour? Or maybe promotion was a surprise, without you planning or trying to go for it? :)

zappaDPJ

I've become staff by offering technical expertise to forums and I've also been offered staff positions without asking. I don't recall asking directly for a position though and I am actually very wary of anyone who does.

aaa111

Neophyte
I'm feeling same, zappaDPJ..;) on "my" forum it was sometimes happening that users asked directly without using application form, and I don't remember anyone of these asking, who could qualify :)

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
what would be your approach if you wanted to become a staff member of forum where you are currently user.
For me, it would depend on your relationship with the owner/admin of the site...
How long have you been a member of the site?
Have you ever had conversation with the owner/admin? Personal topics?
Do they know that you are an experienced moderator? Do they know you are on staff of another site?

If they know that you are an experienced moderator, and on the staff of another site, they may think you are too committed to be on their staff... and so have not asked you.

In any case, I would send a private message asking "Can I be of any help around here?" See where that takes you.

southernlady

Devotee
For me, it would depend on your relationship with the owner/admin of the site...
How long have you been a member of the site?
Have you ever had conversation with the owner/admin? Personal topics?
Do they know that you are an experienced moderator? Do they know you are on staff of another site?

If they know that you are an experienced moderator, and on the staff of another site, they may think you are too committed to be on their staff... and so have not asked you.

In any case, I would send a private message asking "Can I be of any help around here?" See where that takes you.
Right now I am a Tech Admin on a forum that just started. The owner and I have known each other over 8 years online and IRL. She's a member of my own forum and wanted to start a specific niche one but is not a forum administrator. So she owns the software, I installed it, registered as the admin and got it up and started. Got her registered, made her an admin under her own name. I also made the Tech Admin user account for me. After a few back end lessons, I handed over the Admin account to her and use just the Tech Admin. That way I can see if she is doing things correctly. She is....slowly.

I don't post much, not my interest but I am there for now to make sure she doesn't screw up something. She doesn't have FTP or cPanel access (that's me) on my server yet. Not sure she actually wants it but one of her other admins has FTP and cPanel experience, so I will be getting that information to him.

I was also a staff member on a book forum as it also resided on my server and the owner wanted me there to see glitches if she had any. I haven't gone there in forever. I've avoided being a staff member if I can help it.